A salary survey carried out by The Engineer has reported a positive outlook for multiple engineering sectors throughout the UK, as it illustrated a significant increase on the average salaries with a growth of 7% year on year.
The renewables and nuclear sectors have taken the top spot for the first time in the surveys five year history, indicating the critical nature of these sectors to the UK economy.
Top 5 average salaries by sector 2019:
Energy, renewables & nuclear – £58,695
- Energy, renewables & nuclear – £58,695
- Oil and gas – £57,167
- Chemicals & pharmaceuticals – £56,20
- Food & drink – £52,877
Key Statistics taken from the survey:
- Regardless of earning more in 2019, 44% of participants are concerned about job security
- Concerns over gender diversity as just 7.4% of women participated in the survey
- The average age of participants was 47.5 years of age
- Graduate engineers salaries have increased by 21% in the past 5 years